Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Shadows


Detail:
This one took several sittings before completion. Usually, I paint en plein air and end it once the day is over. With this one, I spent some time in the studio adding new elements and making some finishing touches. The passing rain clouds in the distance appeared of their own accord and moved themselves across the landscape. It felt like the painting itself was coming to life on its own, and all I really had to do was help it grow. Looking at it now reminds me of a song that was important to me in childhood called Storms in Africa by Enya (I found a video of it on youtube here) The way the music crescendos and then fades reminds me of passing thunderstorms like the one in this painting, and like the ones that have been happening here in Texas since the days I painted this.

No comments: